SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greensingh

Sulfur calculation to lower soil pH

greensingh
13 years ago

Just got back the results from the soil test and the pH came out to be 7.2.

The soil is sandy loam and it has established roses in it. The plants did not look very healthy this year.

I need to get the pH to between 6.2 - 6.8 and the recommendation is :-

Elemental sulfur at a maximum

rate of 1 pound per 1000 square feet. Follow sulfur applications with frequent watering (if rainfall is not

adequate) during subsequent weeks to keep the soil moist and distribute acidity to depth in the soil. Up to three

applications may be made to established plantings in a growing season, with treatments at least 8 weeks apart.

I found the Espoma soil acidifier at the box store which has

Sulfur (S) .........................................................................................................................................................30%

18% ................................................................................................................................................Free Sulfur

12%.......................................................................................................................................Combined Sulfur

with a recommendation of 12lbs/100sqft for 1 point reduction in pH

The area of the bed is close to 100 sqft and the county extension told me to apply 1 cup of elemental sulfur to this area for my soil type.

I am stuck at translating the soil acidifier instructions to elemental sulfur instructions. Does 30% translate to .3 pounds of elemental sulfur per pound of the acidifier? So since I need only .1 pound of elemental sulphur, that should translate to 1/3 pound of the acidifier. Which is very different from the 12lbs recommended on the product.

Definitely missing something here!!!!

I have also attached the test report in text format. TIA

Here is a link that might be useful: soil test report

Comments (8)