SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bgrow_gardens

Controversy! Just gotta luv it..

bgrow_gardens
17 years ago

Controversy! Just gotta luv it..

I am not a believer nor, am I going to invest in this book thing, deal...! I am not pushing anything here believe me! However, some of the stuff I read was old hat so to speak. I recently found this while doing research on zucchini of all things.. Although, I never really stake my tomato's so to speak I am more of a cage sort of girl. Or just let em' sprawl all over and make do depending on how many plants I have started.... Really maybe, I should probably post this on the tomato forum..but I feel I am really among friends and comfortable here too...so I just had to pick your wonderful, all knowledgeable brains for a minute. I was rummaging around on the web for a bit believe it or not trying to figure the best way to grow zucchini of all things ( O.K. I have really,really failed at this one the past couple of years believe it or not!!) I am beginning to think that these plants just really don't like me! I love them however, they don't love me apparently?!! All the other veggies do really well for me, and I don't have any real problems with them whatsoever. ~ Go figure? The one thing that nobody has troubles with is a failure for me apparently? At this place of mine I've grown them 3 years in a row. 2-3 plants each season and a grand total of 5 total. (if I'm really lucky) between all of the plants?!! They were picked small as well also in hopes to get more as well approximately 1" wide and maybe 4-4 1/2" long they were tender and delicious as well but that was it. I even let them frost to the ground just to make sure there were no whoppers in there in case I might have missed em'. So don't assume I just let the plants go to those humongous zucchini logs I have read about occasionally, when the gardener can't figure out why they're zucchini are simply not producing at all only to find one humongous zuke buried in the vines. Simply not the case here! I just don't get it? Go figure I read about all these folks who are giving/forcing them upon others to no avail. The one veggie I adore just simply won't do anything for me?!! Maybe it is a curse of some sorts? ! However, while doing more research on zucchini I came across an ad from a vendor. The usual spam sort o' thing. Most normally that sort of the thing never catches my eye. So of course I bit and clicked on it go figure ~ So I just had to share it with you folks. I am not pushing or selling anything at all. Please believe me!!!!!! In fact I refuse to buy it! I am on a fabulously incredibly tight budget that means there are absolutely no room for the frivolous expenditures! We even make our own sourdough bread, and other stuff daily to cut down on expenditures daily around here..However, something or should I say this one caught my curiosity. As I was reading through the regular blah..blah..blah.. I read in there that one of his supposed Grandpa's secrets.. It happened to be that the tomato vine has too many leaves if it has more than 3?????!! Go figure that's the first I ever heard of that?! I have heard of trimming suckers out of your tomato vines etc for better production... but never trimming the actual leaves off? Am I miss~reading this or what? My own personal experience.. I have most always had a fabulous crop of tomato's regardless of what I grew. Mostly the regulars... beefsteak, delicious, early girl, big boy, others as well, and some cherry tomato's in there too. Love them cherry tomatoes!! However, thank you Trudi, I will be trying your fabulous heirlooms this year, my mouth is watering all ready! They are up and growing, well I am so excited! I never would have thought this (I have always bought the usual transplants at the garden/big box store and planted them out before.) Any seed I ever tried before was a catastrophe and had to run out at the last minute to buy transplants +sigh+ ! 1 always planted starters in the past. Regardless, I have always let the leaves stay put on the vine before?! Is there something here I am just not catching onto? In fact I never even thought, or had the concept of pulling off those innocent looking leaves off of them at at all. ! Although I will admit though, I have grown mostly the indeterminate variety of tomato's most of the time. I do wonder if he is referencing determinate varieties?? I am just guessing? Maybe those variety's do better with less leaves and staking? Any thoughts on this one? Please someone? I just don't know at this point?? I am not willing to change anything as of yet! However, all that I am still open to suggestions on growing zucchini!!! Maybe I'll actually get some this year ~ My personal disclaimer so to speak no I have not read the book offered, nor seen it. Just can't belive it that's all!

Thanks for letting me talk your ear off. Now here is that sight I told you about........

Barbhttp://www.joyfultomato.com/?gclid=CPjZxNWl5IoCFQb1ggodIRLa3A

Barb

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH