SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherryazure

One Red Inflamed Gill on Red eyed Columbian Tetra

sherryazure
16 years ago

I have searched and searched for information re this one tetra. He was thrown in when I purchased the entire school at the local pet store who are now being treated for flexibar.

So, rest of school are healing nicely with a bit of salt and triple sulfer (oxy tetracycline did not work). I removed the one with red gill (distended as well). My original intent was to put him down fast when I got him rather then see him languish in the pet store tank, but he has hung on for weeks now (at the store) and apparently can breath ok with one 'lung' (gill).

I called national aquarium pharma and staff mentioned parasite (which I thought but can seem to identify by symptoms). So I treated with one dose of clout (all I had and wanted to start rather then buy another product). They sell medical grade by the way, far superior to what is found in stores, which is often full of fillers.

So, has any one any idea what it might be?

Very very red. Gill distended. (hard to see now that he is isolated in his own tank (next to 10 hospital so he can see his kin and with small mirror - he panics on slighest disturbance, and hides under his silk plants).

Resporitory rate same as others, no extra hard breathing. No flicking, now or before. No scratching so on.

I am wondering if it was is ammonia burn, but then why just him. Also, if a parasite, would not the others be showing this up by now! Why just the ONE gill?

I guess my question is this;

If treated for both bacteria and parasites, and it remains red (I am hoping that if gill tissue is dead that it will turn white or scarred?) ie not red means an improvement?

I added salt to help with osmotic capabilities. I either have to put him down as they do not cope well with isolation (mashes his head when he goes crazy and swim madly if I move to fast, turn light on so on) (now towel over part of his tank). or return him to school!

Thoughts - ideas? (bummer, just spent some time drawing with 'paint' (lousy) a fish that hopefully shows the gill area but can't insert it here.) Thanks Sherry

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living