SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zioviche

Digging and adding dirt near trees - okay to do?

viche
15 years ago

I have a 15-20 year old sweet gum in my back yard that is towards the top of a rather steep (45 degree) grass covered hill. I would like to add a bordered swingset area above the tree at the top of the hill. In order to level the area I need to build a retaining wall and add about 18 inches of fill dirt in an area that would be about 6 feet from the trunk of the tree. In other words, about 6 feet up a modest incline from the tree trunk, imagine an 18 inch tall wooden retaining wall running left to right and filled with dirt.

If I were to draw it in ascii symbols from an overhead perspective it would look like this. Not sure how this will look in different browsers/platforms (the hyphens are just space savers):

_________35'________

:--------------------------:

:--------swing set---------:

:--------------------------:22'

:_______***__________:

-------**Tree**

The fill dirt would taper off over a 22 foot span higher up the hill to the existing ground elevation. The tree is rather tall and thin. It's drip line goes about 6 feet over the wall and into the play area. I might have to dig into the ground a on the right side of the wall because the ground also slopes slightly up to the right.

Will this work (the additional dirt 6' uphill from the tree trunk) have any affect on the tree's health? How far out from the tree's trunk can I sever a root on one side of the tree if I have to?

Thanks!

Comments (9)