SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brenda_l_w

Removing a big old rose and putting in something new

brenda_l_w
10 years ago

We inherited an old rose when we bought our house. I jokingly called it our "rose tree" and patiently waited for it to bloom. It was pleasant enough with small magenta flowers, although once blooming. Then the mildew appeared, thickly coating the buds and stems and that is how it stays for most of the year. It is a pretty terrible sight to see in the front of our house, heightened by the overgrown boxwood underneath and the long gangly canes it throws out. It looks pretty atrocious for about 11 months out of the year. The one month where it is blooming is the only time I can tolerate it.

{{gwi:291932}}

I'm pretty sure it is I.X.L, a rambler from 1925 commonly used as understock for rose standards. My house was built in the 1930s so the time period is correct. I'm guessing it has reverted to I.X.L. and I wonder what rose was initially there.

I plan to remove the rose and boxwood and plant a new rose this fall. What would rose would you recommend for this location? I would like fragrance, good repeat and low prickles as this on the street and also near our driveway. I'm planning on planting Philadelphus "Belle Etoile" next to our front steps, so a pink or purple to contrast with the white would be nice. This spot gets sun from mid-morning on.

I currently have a Felicia that I could move. I also have and Grandmother's Hat and a tiny Francesca in gallon pots.

{{gwi:291933}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Cottonwood Cemetery I.X.L.

Comments (13)