SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patty57_gw

Voles are winning ] :

patty57
9 years ago

Along with OGRs, I also enjoy shade gardening in which i collect hellebores, epimediums and other companion plants for shade gardening. With new roses I plant out in other beds, I surround new them with small pebbles when planting to attempt to deter the voles from getting to the new root systems. I use oyster shells for plants like new epimediums. I have tried the hardware cloth, but discontinued that task. These tunnel digging and plant killing critters are all over. I have 3 cats who get a few once in a while, but the population has grown so. I can see where they tunnel in my beds and get down to dig up along their tunnel to a plant and can only press the soil back against the roots.
This is the first year I have had them. Between voles and the bermuda grass, which has made me just mow over beds of plants over the years due to its victory as well, it gets quite discouraging.
Anyone dealing with voles this year and have a tip or two that has worked for them? I have read and read about different methods to try.
With the love of gardening that so many have, we keep enduring to keep it going, but darn the battles........

Patty

Comments (6)