SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherryazure

Betta - female, eggs, dropsy, or tumor?

sherryazure
16 years ago

This female from a local store, about 1 year with me, so already older, but otherwise fine and feisty. She has been housed in a 20 long with driftwood, and anubias plants, and gets along fine with glass catfish, albino cories, and now black neon tetras.

I noticed her breeding tube (oviduct)was becoming extended so as before (this several times since I've had her) I originally thought it was her eggs swelling her a bit.

But, I noticed the swelling is only on ONE side of her, and a bit too high and far back to be I think her eggs. Not sure.

From photos of pregnant females, this swelling starts about where the bottom fin (long anal fin) begins and is up closer to the lateral line not starting near the front of her head and lower. Now today it is swollen enough so that the scales are a bit out. Again, this is only on one side.

I have put her in her own tank with the same water, penn plax small filter, silk plants and added some regular aquarium salt and some epsom salt, and fed her some smashed pea.

Any ideas? If it is internal bacterial something or tumor, I won't treat with meds and just let her live it out as best she can. As I said I've had her about one year, and they are about that at local pet stores.

Thanks for any thoughts. Sherry

Comments (4)

Sponsored