SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dixiebug

Semi Hydroponics using Grow Stones

dixiebug
9 years ago

I am considering trying a semi hydroponic system, using grow stones. has anyone tried this? I can't find anything online specifically about growing AVs with grow stones. I particularly want to know what type of pot to use, what modifications to the pots I need to make and also the best fertilizer? I am wondering if I can use net pots? The hydroponic store near me has net lots as small as 2".

The benefits of the grow stones is they're lighter weight than the clay pellets, they don't have as much residual dust, once they are rinsed off there is no dust at all, the constant dust doesn't clog up your septic system or your lungs, they are not mined from the earth, and they don't crush like the clay pellets.

The benefits of semi hydroponic, as I can see it anyway, is less opportunity of disease either pest or fungus. You do not have to repot as often, the grow stones can be baked and reused. When baking them they do not stink to high heavens like potting mix. If you have allergies to mold, that is eliminated with this system.

Any thoughts on this subject?

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting