SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenfanatic2003

Any pleasant surprises this year?

gardenfanatic2003
16 years ago

I had some pleasant surprises this year. I got Walker's Low nepeta and Blue Hills salvia. Love, love, love them! And so do the butterflies! Not that I expected to dislike them, but I didn't think I'd be positively enthralled. They bloomed all summer. The nepeta got kinda sprawly, but that was fine with me, because the garden was looking bare due to losses from the April freeze, so it filled in rather nicely. And the grayish green foliage is so pretty. I didn't think Blue Hill was supposed to bloom all summer, but they sure did, and a beautiful color to boot! And best of all, the butterflies went crazy for them. The latter part of the summer, there would always be dozens of butterflies flitting about the nepeta and salvia.

Another pleasant surprise - echinacea Sunset. Got it last year and it didn't do much. I think it was getting established. This year it really grew and bloomed - I love that shade of rosy/orange - don't know how else to describe it. Every morning when I got up I'd look out my kitchen window directly to where that cheery Sunset was, and it would brighten up my day. Tried to find another one this year, but they were sold out. I'm going to get one early in the season next year.

Anyone else have some plants that you ended up liking even better than you had expected?

Deanna

Comments (3)