SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
naturelover_mtl

Need Betta advice from you experts!

naturelover_mtl
19 years ago

Hi everyone. Normally I'm on the houseplants forum but today I am here in need of your advice.

I have been noticing (much to my dismay) Betta fish in horrid conditions in retail stores lately. I have been tempted for the longest time, but this time I am going to cave in and finally bring one home with me to give it a better life.

I already have two small aquariums at home, and although I do understand about their care (somewhat), I'm afraid that it's not my strongest point. I'm a total amateur.

I need your help before I finally run out and adopt a Betta (I wish I could bring them all home with me...).

Anyhow, here are some questions:

I don't have a lot of room at home for the super-duper sized aquariums and can only squeeze in the smaller types.

Will a 2 gallon tank with a filter system, some gravel, some plants and a decoration be enough for the little Betta I have in mind? Is it enough room? Considering I saw one today in a cup with one inch of water...literally...I am hoping that extra size will be heaven for it.

Before I got the tropical fish for my other two aquariums, I made sure I established and stabilized the tanks, letting them get through the cycling process to avoid "new tank syndrome". Do I have to do this for a tank for the Betta too before I can bring him home? I see they just keep them in water at the stores and I've read that all they need is fresh water that has been left to reach room temperature for at least 24 hours so that the chlorine can dissipate. Can I bring one home before the cycling of the tank? Will it survive? Should I do the cycling first? Can it just be put in the tank while the cycling process is going on? HELP! I also have all kinds of products for treating water at home for the other aquariums if that can help.

Sorry for the long message. I want to adopt (save) one of those beautiful Bettas from a life in a cup, but I also want to make sure that I do it right and not hurt it.

Please advise! Thank you!

Comments (14)

Sponsored