SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ispahan

Anyone grow less common Monarda types?

I have been enchanted with Monarda punctata this summer, not only for its stunningly architectural good looks but also for its health, long flowering season and ability to attract all sorts of fascinating insect pollinators in droves. Although said to be short-lived (planted this spring, I have not yet overwintered it), it is said to self-seed to perpetuate itself.

I also grow the more common Monarda 'Raspberry Wine'. While I LOVE the in-your-face, screaming, garden-dominating color of the blossoms, I have to admit that this plant is a dog. It is too tall for my needs, too lanky and brittle, spreads far too fast, and looks plain awful when finished blooming (2-3 weeks tops) is finished. It is relatively mildew resistant. All in all, I think this one will soon be shovel-pruned.

However, I enjoy monarda too much to give up on it entirely. Can anyone speak of their impressions and/or experiences with the following, or others I might have overlooked?:

Monarda bradburiana
Monarda 'Peter's Purple'
Monarda fistulosa 'Claire Grace'
Monarda fistulosa (Wichita Mountain Strain sold by High Country Gardens)
Rose-Scented Monarda (Monarda fistulosa tetraploid)
Monarda media
Monarda citriodora
Monarda 'Bryan Thompson'

I just obtained a small start of the rose-scented monarda from Companion Plants in Ohio, mainly to satisfy my curiosity. I was surprised to find that the leaves actually do have an intense scent of rose mixed in with just a bit of the bergamot odor.

This post was edited by ispahan on Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 23:05

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting