SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristin_flower

Lamb's Ears - Thug??

kristin_flower
13 years ago

I'm using Lamb's Ears as edging in one of my garden beds and it has spread like crazy, encroaching on my Quietness roses in a way I never intended. I've been cutting the "ears" back here and there but I've noticed that my roses seemed to have stopped growing and have not flowered since the first flush of the summer.

I suppose it's possible that something else is stunting my roses. The area faces south and other sun loving plants are doing fine. The soil was double dug and amended before planting. I've done the same for these roses as I've done for all my others (composted manure, organic fertilizer and fresh mulch in the spring). These roses were planted last summer, put out good growth this spring, flowered and then just stopped altogether. They seem healthy otherwise. I'm thinking either the Lamb's ears are stealing something from the roses, or the roses just aren't getting as much sun as they need. The "ears" are shading the lower leaves of the roses (bottom 1/5 to 1/4 of the roses) and get cut back every so often.

Comments (10)