SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
longtee81

Question about Maple Bark Damage

My neighbor and I purchased some trees in May 2012. I failed to listen to the great advice of the contributors on this forum (recommending I pick a smaller tree) and ended up having a 4" Accolade Elm tree installed and my neighbor made a much wiser (and overall cheaper) choice of having a 2.5" Autumn Flame Red Maple tree delivered.

My tree looked pretty bad towards the end of 2012 and for most of 2013 (small leaves that turned yellow early and dropped well before fall) and finally this year it is looking great and seems to have withstood the stress and transplant shock. Not much growth so far per the predictions of many and looking back I wish had purchased a smaller tree with a more desirable form.

Sorry to get sidetracked, but the point of this question is my neighbors maple. In 2.5 years of growth it has not really grown at all and the leaves appear to be very small (I know this variety has smaller leaves than the species). I checked it out a short while ago and noticed that much of the bark around the tree is gone. He had mentioned that a great deal of the bark was just "flaking off" and that he ended up just rubbing it off with his finger last yer. It looks like it is starting the heal back up based on the visible wound wood, and I am guessing that once it closes off the remaining open areas it will start to take off.

Has anyone seen anything like this before on a Red Maple or any tree for that matter? He had indicated that a wood pecker was doing some work on it last year, but I doubt that would cause something like this.

The tree looked good upon delivery, so it is something that happened later that year or at least it was exposed later that year.

Thanks for any info or thoughts!

Steve

Comments (8)