SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaacka

New to this, new tank, Ich, fish dying...

jaacka
16 years ago

I've had it all...

We have a 10 gallon tank that we've had for about 8 years. We had one ferocious goldfish in it that finally died at 6" in length in November. I changed the water, rinsed it out well, including the rocks and filter, set it up again and let it run for 48 hours (this was with well water, non chlorinated, and we did add water conditioner).

My neighbor gave me some Neons... and they died within about two hours.

A week later, we bought a pleco and shrimp. They did just fine. So another week later, we got two mollies and decided to upgrade to a bigger tank (28 gallons).

We set it up, let it run 48 hours with the well water and water conditioner, filter, etc, put the shrimp and pleco in and they did just fine, so we transferred the mollies. Within three days, one mollie died. The other mollie seemed to have developed Ich, I quarantined it back to the other tank on Saturday, turned up the temp as high as it would go and added aquarium salt (about a Tbsp) and this malachite green Ich treament stuff, removed the filter even.

this morning the mollie is dead, and now the pleco has the ich (I also turned the temp up in the 28 gallon tank and added a bit of salt to treat the water). There is also these balls of snot looking stuff in both tanks, stuck to the rocks and walls. This was NOT there yesterday.

Obviously we are doing something wrong! What is it???

At least my 25 cent shrimp seem totally unphased by all this. LOL

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living