SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lalibellule_gw

I don't have an AV yet.

lalibellule
17 years ago

Just to be up-front about that. =) But I am thinking of someday getting one, and I would like to work out some of the logistics first.

First, is there a good index of varieties somewhere? I looked at a couple of dealers' pages, but I didn't see what I'm looking for. I suspect it's because what I'm looking for is pretty much a nondescript noid, not the sort of plant one would be proud of having hybridized. The sort of plant that would lead a German governor in Africa to call it a violet. The sort of plant that would evoke the little violetesque guy in my {{gwi:375714}}. Probably the only reason I haven't already killed an AV in black-thumbed ignorance is that all the ones I run into at the grocery store are at least frilly-petaled.

The next (and biggest) problem is that I want to keep it in the worst possible location: the bedroom, with a west window whose blinds are usually closed. I know, I'm a bad person, but that's where the Matisse is. It's only going to be one plant, so no rack system is in order or anything. The current room lighting is a cheap little 60-watt floor lamp (no overhead lights in there) with the strongest compact fluorescent I could find in the campus store when I was in college (which is of course still much less than the lamp could handle). It's pretty bright. So I was thinking perhaps I could replace that lamp with one of those medusa floor lamps and point one or two of the heads toward the plant. With CFs of whatever luminosity and color and whatnot the gurus here would recommend. (I'd have the other lamp heads for room lighting.) Before I start checking out lamps, does that even sound feasible?

The last concern (at the moment, anyway) is potting. It seems to be a complicated issue. I've looked at a lot of the recommendations posted, and the Oyamas seem the most me-proof so far, although I'm open to other opinions. Looks aren't really important, as I'm probably going to stick the whole thing in a terracotta anyway (see print above, plus the fact that it's rapidly becoming a decorating theme with me somehow). I found a site that sells them in sets of three, but all three the same size... anyone know of a place that has sets of consecutive sizes? Seems like that would be convenient for potting up as needed. Otherwise I guess I would get them piecemeal from eBay.

Any other points I should consider in the, well, consideration phase? I'm not sure I'm ready for a plant with so many requirements, and before I get one I want to be pretty convinced I won't kill it.

- Lali

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals