SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scorpiohorizon

The 'I sold house, new owner ruined garden' blues

scorpiohorizon
15 years ago

I had to move last summer from the Toledo area to Cleveland b/c my husband got a job at a recording studio here and it was this big career move thing for him. Way back when I first posted here, I was a gardening/rose newbie and I was starting my gardens at my old house. Then I had 2 kids 2 years in a row and didn't have much time to garden or to post here, but I kept up what I had built. I had about 25 roses and many, many perennials when we found out we had to move.

Last weekend, I was home for a wedding and I swung by the old house because we found one of the garage door openers in my glove compartment (oops) and I figured I'd drop it off. The house looked improved--new windows and siding--even though I would have rather seen the cedar chip kept there, as I think it ruins the charm of old homes to put up vinyl, but I digress... anyway, the improvements to the house were totally overshadowed by what has happened to my gardens!

First, Hansa and The Fairy have been allowed to get way out of control in front of the front porch. Hansa is about 8 feet tall and Fairy about 8 feet wide and re-rooted EVERYwhere--and the weeds are knee-high. This means that Intrigue, Glamis Castle, and oh...what else was there? I can't remember... but anyway, they are either incognito among the weeds and unpruned, carried away Hansa and Fairy or they have died. There are supposed to be daylilies in that bed as well. I couldn't tell with all the weeds.

Second, the weeds are knee-high EVERYWHERE, and the new owner has put up a "quaint" (har har) sign that says, "I tried, but it died." (First, you are not trying, woman, and second, if it died, it was because you didn't try.) There are even weeds growing over the garage door, how they get by them to get in--a machete?--I do not know.

Third, I was majorly ticked off that the delphinium that only produced one or two stalks per summer for me was all over the place (guess I should have ignored it).

Fourth, none of the other shrubs/trees have been pruned, they look horrible. I talked to the neighbor lady and she said she's been pruning things that she sees on her side of the yard because it is so unruly.

Five... took out bearded iris bed... I should have just dug them up myself, we moved during the perfect time for transplanting...Little Darling, Double Delight, Midnight Blue, and several others were gone... they weren't doing really great anyway (that bed was doomed, I think it had too little protection in the winter), so I guess I can forgive that. But those roses would have fared better in my new yard than my old one, so maybe I should have taken the time to dig them out. I did take about 5 roses with me, but they were new plants that never got into the ground. With 2 toddlers and a house full of stuff to pack and a new job and new house to find, I just never had time to dig out what I wanted before the house went up for sale, and wouldn't have had time even if I'd put a clause in the sale agreement.

I knew when I sold the house that my gardens might get ruined...It looks absolutely terrible. It makes me sad. So that's my story of the "I moved and they ruined all my roses" blues.

Comments (34)