SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenpane

is this leaf scorch on sugar maple?

jenpane
15 years ago

We had this Green Mountain sugar maple planted by a nursery last fall. It was balled and burlapped (though I noticed that the burlap didn't seem to be cut away at all... you can see it still wrapped around the trunk if you brush away the mulch... isn't that improper planting?). Seemed to be doing okay this spring, but then the Midwest started getting hammered with storms and it's been a very, very wet and WINDY spring/early summer.

The whole tree shows browning around the leaf edges. Probably can't see very well in this picture but it goes all the way to the top of the tree, all the way around (though worse on the south/southwest side of the tree, where the wind tends to come from).

{{gwi:381139}}

Here's a couple of close-ups:

{{gwi:381140}}

{{gwi:381141}}

There also seem to be a lot of dead/brittle twigs/small branches on the whole tree. Like I said, it seems like we've had plenty of water this season. Since I noticed the browning, I've been trying to soak it if we don't have a decent rainfall every 3-4 days, and I just put some fertilizer spikes in the drip line the other day.

Is there any hope for my poor tree? The nursery only gave a 90-day guarantee. However, if they planted it wrong (which I suspect, given the guys who showed up to do the job didn't really seem to know what they were doing) I will be marching in and demanding something.

Any advice?

Jennifer

Comments (2)