SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
varmint_304

Aerators (again): Agri Fab vs Swisher

varmint_304
16 years ago

Yes, I still haven't decided on a snowblower, but I'm already dreaming up work for spring weekends.

After reading all 76 posts in the thread that... ummm... 'erupted' back in 8/06, I decided to go with the Agri Fab 40". This decision was based on price, design, and generally agreeable reviews. The plot thickened when Santa left me a $100 gfc to Lowes. Turns out, Lowes stopped selling the Agri Fab in favor of the Precision unit, which (according to their website) they have stopped selling in favor of a 48" unit by Swisher.

To the list of Things-About-Which-I-Know-Nothing, I must add the company called Swisher. This begs my first question...

Does anybody know anything about Swisher equipment in terms of quality, durability, performance, etc?

Specs are all over the road when digging up info on the web. When compared with the Agri Fab 48", the Swisher 'appears' to have advantages in the area of hefty construction. The Swisher weighs 120 lbs vs 91 for the Agri Fab. The hitch pin on the Swisher is listed as a 1/2" vs 3/8". The ballast weight rating is 200 lbs vs 100. (This last part is up for dispute as several sites have published different ratings and several posters here have used 175 lbs or more with an Agri Fab.)

Oh, yeah. If ordered on-line, the Agri Fab is also roughly $60-70 cheaper. I'd just have to find another way to spend that Lowes gfc.

Next question: Am I nuts (specifically for) moving from a 40" to a 48" aerator?

I'm the tickled pink owner of a JD X304. While the trans axle is the somewhat more stout K58 unit, the engine is still the 17hp Kawa. The JD site lists a small spike aerator for the 304, but lists a larger plug model for the 320s. I don't really need 48". The only reason I'm considering it is because of that plot-thickening gfc.

Comments (28)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!
More Discussions