SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
varmint_304

Berco for JD X304?

varmint_304
16 years ago

This probably qualifies as one of those "just how nuts am I?" questions. Any advice, recommendations, warnings, superstitions, or tales from real life will be greatly appreciated... before they are forgotten the moment I walk into a showroom.

Once every three years my little corner of Massachusetts (yes, it is all MINE) sees enough snow to warrant a snowblower. So far, this has been one of those years. Despite my utter lack of a place to store such a device, I'm considering a 40" Bercomac to clear the driveway and area around the mailbox. I have never owned a snowblower of any sort, so I have a few concerns...

1. My X304 has the K58 unit driving the wheels. Sufficient?

2. Will the Berco toss plowed snow?

Something about the way my road curves has convinced the town plow crews that the spot to the left of my drive is the proper location for piling snow. I often find myself digging through a berm of semi-packed snow to allow access to the billbox. Assuming I knock the pile down to a reasonable height, can a compact blower handle this stuff?

3. I'm thinking rubber chains, filled tires, and that last slice of pizza will be enough to provide the necessary traction.

4. The driveway is roughly 100-120 ft long and 1.5 vehicles wide. (1 at the entrance. 2 at the garage.)

Purchasing a better tractor for the job is not an option. I bought the X304 for mowing and hauling a dump cart. I didn't think I'd would be plowing or blowing snow with it. If I'm under-equipped, I will simply continue to contribute to the college fund my landscaper has started for his kids.

Here is a link that might be useful: Berco 40

Comments (7)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012
More Discussions