SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funnthesun

The wierdest thing - flopping is a good thing!

I know this is going to be kind of strange, but I wanted to share it with you all. I have tried and tried to take pics of this area, but the pics that aren't close-up just don't communicate the beauty, it just makes everything look weedy. Please keep that in mind as you peruse these pics, they are defin. not doing the flowers justice.

So, I so enjoyed my Mercury Rising and Cosmic Eye coreopsis that I decided to put in several Red Shift coreopsis this year. Well, as always seems to be the case with coreopsis here, they outgrew their tag sizes. They got so tall that, of course, they started dropping away or flopping from the middle (very gracefully, though). I decided at that time that next year, I would cut them back before they bloomed to keep them shorter so that they wouldn't flop. This year, though, nothing to do but let them. Didn't want to bother with stakes, etc.

Lo and behold, they began filling in and rising and now it looks like I have 4 plants where there was just 1. At this point, their height is pretty good and we still have a good bit of season remaining. I'm not hating this look, as I thought I would. Here are some pics, the best I could take, of the area.

See how they are rising up and filling in?
{{gwi:263579}}

Cascaded right into the Helenium.
{{gwi:263580}}
{{gwi:263581}}
Here's a cruddy long-shot of the area, but you get the idea
{{gwi:263582}}

So, has something like this ever happened to you? You ever let a plant flop and ended up liking the result? Am I just crazy? (hey, I never rule that out!)

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists