SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jm30_gw

Sweetbay Magnolia-What's on the leaves? Pics included

jm30
14 years ago

I have posted this issue a couple times, but I'm going to try again. My sweetbays have a lot of poor foliage. Basically, a lot of wrinkled, shriveled, and tattered foliage. Now in my earlier posts, we discussed soil ph levels (since sweetbays do like acidic soil), so I had a test done and the soil is neutral, so I have amended the soil in the area with 2 treatments of garden sulphur; at the recommended dosage. Now I know it takes a while for that to have any effect, but I have noticed a vigorous flush of new growth on both. And that could also be due to the generous rainfall we have had up to this point. So anyways, on closer inspection this week, I think a pest might be the problem, but I haven't been able to catch any in action. I've even went out in the middle of the night looking for slugs, but haven't seen any. Often times the new leaves get affected as they emerge, yet they continue to grow into a deformed leave. This past week I treated with a general purpose disease spray and bug killer. From the pics, can anyone pinpoint what is going on?
{{gwi:380438}}From garden forums
{{gwi:380439}}From garden forums
{{gwi:380440}}From garden forums
{{gwi:380442}}From garden forums

{{gwi:380443}}From garden forums

Comments (11)