SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ricksample

Improving soil with mulch?

ricksample
11 years ago

I mostly plant conifers in large beds. A bed may measure 50' x 25'. The conifers are planted about 15-20' apart. I don't really have anything in between. Under the wood chips is clay soil. Well the wood chips take a lot of time to break down so I'm thinking of going a different direction with my next large bed.

What are your thoughts on a combination of leaves & grass clippings as much for the first year or two then wood chips? I was thinking of planting a lot of other stuff in each bed with the conifers (like ajuga's, daylilies, etc), then top dressing with leaves, grass clippings, pine needles, twigs, etc... anything my mulcher can pick up.

In theory the fast growing ground covers should be able to spread quick and send down roots into the soil breaking it up, while the grass/leaves/etc on top will also break down rather quick adding nutrients to the soil. Increasing earthworm activity. The problem I have right now is really no activity in the soil. When I apply the wood chips, there isn't any spreading plants, grass, or anything growing in that soil. Just my conifers that are planted 20' apart. I was thinking that adding fast growing spreading plants and compost would be a good way of jump starting the soil.

My yard is very large, I don't have any machines that can till this into the soil, but I've read good stuff on no-till gardening.

Comments (33)