SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bkim110

what garden tractor to buy?

bkim110
16 years ago

have had a toro wheelhorse 416 h garden tractor for 17 years. has been a good machine but i'm looking for a new unit. i mow approx. 2/3 of an acre - sloped. also will need to something to plow a gravel/sloped drive with a large area at bottom. with my toro i have to start at top of drive and plow downhill. it seems to have enough power (16 hp) but not enough traction (have wheelweights and chains) to do a good job on snow deeper than 8-10 inches. i've been considering several options: a toro 5xi (20 hp/1000 lbs), a john deere x 534 or 540, and the kubota gr 2100. all have +'s and -'s. i really would like a 4wd. the toro 5xi would be about 400 lbs heavier than my old toro but would still be 2wd. the jd 534 has 4 wheel steering which i think would be great for mowing and though it is only 2wd it does have the traction assist function where you can lock in both rear wheels for positraction. in all honesty i wonder about the quality of this unit as the levers and controls look flimsy. i have also read from other sources that the newer jd's aren't the quality units they once were. i looked at the kubotas also and was impressed. the bx series is bigger than what i need but look like a heck of a machine. the g series units look great but they don't come in 4wd. the gr2100 is 4wd and looks great for mowing but no hydraulic function for snowblade ( i have a hydraulic lift on my toro and really like that option). any suggestions? would like to keep under $10,000 if possible. any suggestions? thanks!

Comments (10)

Sponsored