SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kittymoonbeam

Stawberry, or anyone, have you tried this?

kittymoonbeam
10 years ago

Here's another idea from Gary's newsletter and I never thought of trying this. But maybe with a weak grower or sick plant, it might be a good idea. Gary's ideas usually work out for me but I thought I would ask here before attempting it.

From Gary's monthly newsletter on plants

"Feeding" Your Plants
Plants don't "eat" the way we do
When we eat, we consume carbohydrates, proteins, and fats to add energy to our bodies. Plants, on the other hand, normally receive all their energy from sunlight. The minerals that we "feed" them are building materials and actually will lower the energy level of the plant as they are incorporated into new plant tissue.

If a plant has been struggling and is teetering on the edge of life, throwing on a handful of fertilizer may be the worst thing you can do. Growing new foliage takes a lot of energy. Now many plants that appear anemic are actually full of energy and just require a "feeding" of minerals so that could green up and start to grow.

The radiant energy from sunlight is stored as a sugar molecule. Carbon dioxide (CO2) and water (H2O) molecules are fused to create sugar (C6H1206) and oxygen (O2). The oxygen is released into the atmosphere (the plant does use some of it) and the sugar can be used immediately to power one of the cell's many functions, or the sugar can be stored for future needs, or the sugar can be converted to cellulose and/or lignin to create new plant tissue (specifically the cell walls) and/or repair damage. Some of the sugar is sent down (through the phloem/bark) to provide energy and building material to the roots.

A fruiting tree must have a good store of sugars (as starch) in its branches in order to initiate formation of flowers and fruit. The majority of fruit trees store sugar in their stems during the fall for development of flowers buds and fruit the following year.

IS IT POSSIBLE FOR PLANTS TO ABSORB SUGAR?

APPARENTLY IT IS!

25 years ago an article appeared in a journal from the California Rare Fruit Growers organization discussing how applications of molasses on the foliage of a non-productive lemon tree in cloudy Palos Verdes apparently helped it flower and fruit.

To convince myself that this actually worked I sprayed the sugar solution on only one branch of a plum tree during the fall. The following year that one branch had about 400% more fruit than the other branches! I was convinced.

Over the years I have applied sugar, not only to increase production, but to increase speed of growth and to help weak or stressed plants increase their energy and vigor.

I still use this method when growing plants, but have changed the formula slilghtly.

In 1 gallon of water add

1 ounce of Karo syrup (source of sugar)
1 ounce of Seaweed Extract (powerful growth stimulant)
1 ounce of Fish Emulsion (source of mineral nutrients)

I also add a teaspoon of Nature's Own Spray Helper to help this solution cling to foliage better.

I apply the spray, using a pressure (pump) sprayer to all leaves and/or green parts of the plant. The application is supposedly more effective if applied when conditions are more humid (early morning or evening).

If applied in spring or summer the plant will use the sugar to grow faster If applied in fall or winter the plant will store the sugar for the following year's growth or production.

Yes the sugar will feed the local ant population so make certain that you control the ants first. On the other hand, applying sugar will also attract beneficial insects. Most predators (ladybugs, lacewings, etc.) smell the sugar and expect to find sucking insects (and the honeydew they normally excrete).

Comments (9)