SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arbutusomnedo

What (Rose or Otherwise) Would You Put Up a 7.5' Obelisk?

Hey there everybody!

My mom got a new metal obelisk this past weekend. She wants to add some height to the front yard after a tree had to be removed. The spot gets some afternoon shade, but it is mostly sunny. The obelisk is not extremely wide, but most pillar type roses that can be kept around 8' tall would be good fits for it.

There's not enough shade to comfortably plant a clematis there, but she likes the idea of a very remontant rose in either a soft white/pink/cream or dark red/purple. I can't really think of anything in the darker spectrum that wouldn't get too big for this application, whereas there are many lighter Noisettes, Hybrid Musks, and others I could see working. Nur Mahal might work, but it's not quite the color she's looking for. I know that prolific bloom is more important to her than the beauty of each individual bloom or the scent.

I wasn't planning on using it for this application, but could Grandmother's Hat serve this purpose? I feel like Felicia and Clytemnestra would get too large in the long run for an obelisk, but they have yet to be planted in their intended spots. Jeri Jennings is in a 2 gallon pot growing in its intended future location, but it too could be repurposed for this. I suspect it might like being grown as an arching shrub more than an upright, trained specimen.

I've seen wonderful pictures of Lavender Lassie being grown in the style I'm asking about, but it's a bit too pink. I forgot who posted the pictures, but I've seen someone with a lovely Prosperity grown as a tight pillar rose. Could something like Mlle. Blanche Lafitte work in the manner of these?

The obelisk isn't so big that I would put any number of more aggressive vines on it, but if you have any non-rose ideas, I'm all ears. Rust and mildew are problems here though, so that eliminates some rose choices from the start.

Thanks for your help as always! Hope you're all doing well.

Jay

Comments (15)