SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynbornman

funny looking worm/insect like things destroying tricolor beech

lynbornman
16 years ago

We've had our tricolor beech for a few years. Its done great the past few years. This year, it looks like crap. We were hit really bad by the late freeze after weeks of warm weather and lots of things just didn't recover well and don't quite look right. The beech had oddly shaped leaves..some kind of bigger than they should be, some way smaller, and some really oddly shaped. Today I went out and looked at it and something is chowing down on the leaves. Seems to have started at the top as the bottom branches are not as affected. The affected leaves have the skeleton look on patches all over the place. I looked for those wooly aphids and I don't really think I saw them. What I did see where these small pyramid shaped thing that were kind of scaly about 0.5-1.0 cm long sticking up from a couple of leaves. I tried to flick one and I'm not sure because I was totally freaked out but I think there was some kind of worm like thing keeping it attached to the leaf that it was in the process of sucking the life out of. Anyhow, it didn't flick off and I didn't really try very hard. Any idea what the heck these things are and what I can do about it???

Thanks so much for any help. If you guys have no idea what Im talking about I'll try to get out there and get a picture.

Lyn

Comment (1)