SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

Veronica spicata 'Icicle'- what a let down!

I was curious to hear other opinions of this plant.

I bought this Veronica last year at Lowes. I was walking by and those beautifully long white flowers, waving cooly in the breeze, called to me. Being a sucker for things with spiky flower heads, I bought it. The tag said V. 'longifolia', but other online sources say 'spicata', so I am going with that, lol.

I put it in a nice spot in a new bed. It overwintered nicely. It had bulked up considerably. The foliage was a strange light green though, as though it did not get enough sun. I read up on this cultivar and learned it typically has very light green matte foliage. I prefer dark green foliage, but whatever. On the positive side, this plant has none of those foliage troubles that seem to plague other Veronicas. No browing, spotting, or mildew.

I really enjoyed the look of them in bud too. Super long green heads that tend to curl over before bloom. So interesting! And the overall form was so nice and tidy.

Then it bloomed. How disappointing! The white flowers are so wishy-washy! Not like at the store or pictures in mags at all (though I always expect a plant to look a little different once planted and established).

Don't misunderstand me, the color is white. But it is not the 'David' Phlox sort of white, but more like the translucent Malva moschata. The plant might have looked stunning if the foliage was a dark green (like 'Royal Candles'). That would have been amazing. But as it is, with the anemic light green foliage (the stems and stamens being the same color) makes the entire look of the plant rather ineffectual in the garden.

In one last attempt for this plant to redeem itself, I planted it in an area where there is some dark green background foliage. I hoped this would make the white flowers pop. I am afraid it has not. Now it just looks like a weed.

I am soooooo let down! I really wanted to like this plant. Does anyone else have it? What is your opinion of it?

CMK

Comments (10)