SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
norabelle_gw

Another Transplant or Shovel Prune Question

norabelle
12 years ago

I have three Austin roses in my front garden: L.D. Braithwaite, Abraham Darby, and Jude the Obscure. All roses are three years in my garden and purchased from D. A.

L.D. and Abraham are doing great, Abraham particularly with 30+ buds ready to bloom.

It's my Jude who has me worried. He is small, has only 12 buds, and can only be described as having a "failure to thrive" appearance. :(

All roses are in a similar location with similar sun, which is direct sun from morning until 2 p.m. then dappled sun/shade until 5/6; although, Jude is at the back edge of the garden.

I love the look and smell of this rose, and I wonder if I can transplant him to make him happier. Can I transplant him sooner and hope to have him survive my Wisconsin winter, or should I wait until spring? Or is there something else wrong with Jude that makes him so puny? Do I need to consider shovel pruning this lovely rose?

Here is a link to pictures I took of all three to show comparison of size and health: {{gwi:287879}}Roses

Thank you for your help!

Regards,

Norabelle

Comments (4)