SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

You loved it, you decided you didn't love it

aachenelf z5 Mpls
10 years ago

and now you're back to giving it another look.

I used to have kind of an obsession with dahlias. Every year I would order a few more and the ones I had kept multiplying, so of course I had to find room to plant them. The collection kept growing, the number of plants kept growing along with all the work of staking and watering and fertilizing and then of course the digging and storing for the winter. Then it hit me, this isn't fun any longer. I composted the whole bunch and didn't give it a second thought. That was years ago.

Fast forward to this past spring. A visit to the garden center late in the season when they were practically giving away the bulbs and tubers. They looked terrible trying to grow in those plastic bags, but they were dirt cheap. I spotted a dahlia that looked kind of pretty. What the heck? I bought it and planted it. If it dies, I'm out about 2 bucks.

I'm now looking at this gorgeous - almost 6 footer with wonderful cactus flowers in a glowing shade of orange - perfect for this time of year. I think the bug has bit once again. I need a couple more next spring, but just a couple.

Kevin

Comments (20)