SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rustyj14

Craftsman lawn tractor/all wheel steer?

rustyj14
13 years ago

Has any body had any work with one of these lawn tractors?

An old friend asked me to look at his, so i did. Have never seen that kind of layout.

He has had problems with one side of the axle/tranny/ u-joint axle parts. So, a piece of the outer end of the left rear axle broke off and fell out! About 2 inches long. He then had to lenghten the axle u-joint so it would mesh with the remaining part of axle shaft, that still had the splines on it.

This fix did work for a while, but now, the u-joint just spins on the end of the axle shaft, and there is no connection to the u-joint. Not having it apart, there is no way of seeing if the splines are gone in the u-joint, or the axle.

I think when he welded on the U-joint, it softened the steel, and the splines are gone in the joint. Hopefully.

Any way, he's going to dismantle that axle assembly, inspect the joint and axle, and he'll let me know what he needs, to fix it. And, i am hoping somebody here might have the parts we'll need. Don't know what, yet.

Model: 536-255870. 15 hp., 6 speed.

Way it looks, I'll need the left axle, the u-joint, and a lot of patience! And, maybe some more numbers.

How hard will it be to install/replace the broken axle? If i can find one. Could the axle be the same as a standard transmission? As on a front wheel steer type.

I'll inform you all when i get that brain teaser apart and fixed. IF!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions