SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mindstorm_gw

Bad year for blackspot?

mindstorm
12 years ago

I'm hoping some of your rose-whizzes can confirm or deny my BS experience this year / calm me down or otherwise help me out.

I've got 4 roses in the ground (well, used to be 5, Pat Austin never survived the winter from last year). 2 Abe Darby's and 1 Wise Portia have been in the ground for the past 3 years; Glamis Castle I put in last year in early summer.

Every year, my roses eventually get some blackspot - usually towards the end of the year - September and esp. October. Last year, one of my healthiest Abe Darby's started showing some BS surprisingly early in the year - late July/early August. But still, it was very healthy, very nice dark leaves, prolific etc. Wise Portia is planted close to this one and eventually, many weeks later got some. Likewise the others got some also.

This year, as is customary, shortly after the roses got their leaves, they fell victim to the horrible rose slugs which after last year I learnt not to tolerate and so sprayed some bug stuff - Bon Neem I think it was - and got rid of them but not after they'd put holes in many many leaves.

Shortly thereafter - as in late May! this time - my roses started showing blackspot. All of them except for one of the Abe Darby's who still just has a mild case. Glamis Castle and Wise Portia have both been hit especially hard with it. Based on things I've read, I've been removing the infected leaves and have actually stripped more leaves from GC and WP than they have left. The one Abe Darby who didn't get a bad case of BS actually has quite a few "bald spots" on its stems as it never really replaced the leaves I removed that had been badly bug-bitten earlier in May.

Could you possibly tell me if this is an especially bad year for BS or are my beautiful roses just on the decline?! Is there anything I can do for them? Don't really want to use chemical fertilizers if it is terribly toxic, if I can help it.

The roses are planted to the South side of the house to get sun about 6-7 hours of the day about 11:00am onwards. Prior to that they are in the shade of the house (and have been for the 3+ years they've been with me). I've given them two rounds now of Rose Tone fertilizer (since early May) + a new dose of composted manure earlier in the year. I haven't actually put in any mulch this year. Should I do so? It has rained quite regularly this year and on the weeks that it hasn't rained at least 3 days in the week, I've given them a deep watering once a week.

What am I doing wrong? Please help/ advise.

Comments (12)