SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grullablue

is this arbor vitae dead?

grullablue
12 years ago

Posted in the wrong spot... this is an emerald green arbor vitae, small, not quite up to my hip... had been growing here very well. I had changed my plans, and was replanting that spot, and a friend of mine wanted it. So, I dug it up, just threw it, with it's root ball and a the soil on it, into a pot, and she picked it up within 15 minutes of digging up. She was going to pick it up and plant it. Well....I didn't find out for quite awhile, but I saw the tree probably two weeks later, still in the pot, as I had left it. It was brown. The soil that was with it had settled, and most of the rootball was covered, but was not enough soil. I asked her what happened...she said she didn't know, she's been watering it, when she remembered to.

Well, plans changed, and she didn't want to plant it after all. I asked to take it back....hoping I could nurse it back to health. But, I'm afraid it may be too late. I planted it in an open spot, full sunlight, with loose soil mixed with miracle grow potting soil. It's all I knew to do. When I spread it apart, it's still very green and un-dry on the inside.

Do you think it's saveable, and if so, is there anything I could do for it I'm not doing? It was in that pot for 3 weeks at most, I don't know how often it was watered...the soil was quite muddy, almost rotten smelling when I took it out. It was very healthy and happy when I dug it up from here and sent it on its way.

{{gwi:261663}}

Comments (9)