SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bmh4796

when should i call quits on my shumard oak sapling

bridget helm
13 years ago

I planted a shumard oak in early March. it was very healthy from the get go. I didn't mulch over it, just let the centipede grass grow in. my husband knows he is forbidden to wound my trees with the weed eater. after he cuts the grass, i usually follow with scissors around the bases of all my baby trees. also, i always water my new saplings diligently especially since i don't do the mulch thing.

anyhow, the tree was doing very well - grew a foot or so in just a few months and sprouted new leaves. then all of a sudden, all of the leaves turned brown and the circle of grass at the base turned brown as well.

I'm thinking that the guy whom i randomly hired to cut my grass 2 weeks ago (husband had an important work project that consumed him for most of May) sprayed roundup at the base of the tree to kill the grass around it, and thus killed my shumard sapling :( some of the little bitty hairy like roots were partially exposed (had been since it was planted). so i'm sure that if he did in fact roundup, the roundup touched those little hairy roots and made it into the tree???

so my question is, do you think it will come back? i know it sounds crazy, but i'm using the following as my reasoning: when i spray roundup on a big crabgrass patch, it always comes back nice and green if given the time and not dug up quick enough.

the tree stands about 11 ft. tall and when i broke a little twig of, it seemed like there was still some green inside along with moisture (not dried up dead). but maybe it's just a matter of time??

if it won't come back, i'd like to plant another in its place. if it will, i'll hang on to it. it was only 25 dollars, but still i'd hate to throw out viable tree.

Comments (14)