SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tophers

Autumn Blaze Maple form

tophers
12 years ago

This is more a question out of pure curiosity...no problems with this one (I hope).

About 4 years ago (summer '07), I purchased an Autumn Blaze Maple. It was about 18' tall, but not wide at all...perhaps about 4' wide (approx 2' branches on each side)...first branches start about 8' up the trunk (about 1.5-2" diameter at chest height, I would estimate). It's leader had never been cut (all the other ABM's had their leaders cut and had a number of branches coming out below the cut)...so I thought it would have been the best specimen there.

This is it's 5th season in the ground and it is only now starting to put on any real measureable growth (I'll never buy big again...). It is now about 20-21' tall and the branches are about 3-4' long...about 2.5" diameter trunk, I think.

I know that the ABM is a cross between the Red and Silver Maples. However, my tree looks nothing like all the pictures I found on the internet of ABM's. Those trees are all rather oval shaped and mine is becoming rather irregular. It's branches are starting to dip down and turn up toward the ends. It's form very much reminds me of my Silver Maple at my prior house. But the leaves on my tree turn a brilliant red in the fall (on good years) and have red petioles, so I'm pretty sure it is not a Silver Maple that was mislabeled.

So, is it so that ABM's can take on more of a Silver Maple form than the oval form seen on the web? Would that make it more prone to breakage, like the Silver Maple?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!