SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rustyj14

Montgomery-ward lawn tractor

14 years ago

Yeah, i know, its old! But, i like to resurrect old tractors, so here's my problem:

Model No: TMO-3394704/E132G1A

Serial No: G364459

12/38, 5-speed.

Transmatic Transaxle

So, here's tne problem: It runs well, but it doesn't move very fast when put into gear, either forward or reverse. The tractor has the little W-shaped thing on the left fender, which controls forward and reverse. There is another large knob on the dash, which controls the speed, sort of a quadrant with some horizontal numbered slots and a handle with a large knob on it, protruding from the front panel on the lower right side. This is the speed for forward and reverse.

So far: The brake is not locked up, nor on, and it seems to work ok. The engine runs ok. But- I can't get it to go faster than a baby's crawl. I could ketch a nap from one end of my yard to the other!

I have bathed every moving part with PB Blaster, and nothing is rusted shut,

This afternoon, a friend is coming over, to work the controls, since i don't have Gorilla arms, to reach things.

One thing i have found: The rod from the foot brake cross-shaft, to the tranny, is bent down, a lot. Maybe thats it. When my friend gets here, we'll check on that.

When i got the tractor as a gift from my son, everything was quite rusty. Maybe from forcing the controls, i managed to bend the connector rod to the brake/ tranny.

So, if i get it fixed--i'll inform you folks, and maybe give ya some insights on old lawn tractor repairs, etc.

Other wise, i can insert that engine in something else. Or sell it.

Comments (3)