SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
twiztidpod

briggs and stratton backfiring

twiztidpod
12 years ago

I have an 18.5 B&S engine model #31p777 and type 0293 e2. I have had this mower for several years. I bought a new Husqvarna last year and this one has sat for over a year (inside) I decided to get it running and tuned up so I changed the oil and filter, new air filter, fuel filter and spark plug, drained and replaced fuel with fresh, disasembled ans cleaned out the carb which wasn't really too bad. I put a good battery on it, and tried to start it. it started right up and sounded good but was ideling a bit high, which i alway's thought it did. so i turned the idle screw, well, I guess I turned it too much, it died !! ok. I turned the screw back out a little and tried it again, now it will not start, when i choke it, it backfires, if it's not choked nothing. I decided to check the valves. i adjusted them to spec .003 intake and .005 exhaust, same thing. i have and extra carburetor for this engine so i swapped them out. same outcome !!! i am now back to the original carburetor, it still will only backfire when choked. I am positive that the valves are set correctly and the new plug is firing well, any ideas ???? never had this problem before. thanks in advance !!!!

Comments (7)

Sponsored