SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pfllh

John Deere 750 hydraulics

pfllh
16 years ago

Since John Deere was bought out, our local service department is lacking in just about every area of repair and knowledge. All the employees that had been there for years left. The service manager is missing some of his nuts and bolts!!

I always keep the finishing mower about the same heighth. I put on the box blade to do some work and the hydraulics to lift and lower the blade only work part of the time if you play with the lever. How do you check the fluid and how do you check the hydraulics itself???

Is there a site you can recommend or know the info yourself?

Thanks so much.

Lynn in Alabama

Comments (18)

• mownie
    16 years ago

Who bought out John Deere? Click the link below to purchase a manual on your tractor. You must buy the manual to avoid being just like the folks at your local service department. They refused to obtain and read the book and just look at them now. For shame!

Here is a link that might be useful: Secret manual

• yetty734
    16 years ago

maybe your local jd place was bought out...but the john deere corporation wasnt.

do they only work in certain temperatures...my friends had to light of opil so it only worked when it was cold

• Related Discussions

John Deere 420 Help

Q

Comments (7)
    Bob, There is a trans filter located under the tractor and the belly pan must be removed to access it. The engine oil drain is a valve sticking out the right engine cover. There is a trans drain under at the bottom of the rear housing. You should use the proper JD oil in the trans. I use Amsoil synthetic hydrostatic/hydraulic oil in mine. Spend the money and get a manual for it. There is a wealth of info in there. Email me direct if you need more help.
    ...See More

Used John Deere L118: $750-Good Buy? HELP

Q

Comments (6)
    The seller delivered it tonight. He knocked $25 off because I thought the rear tires needed tubes or Slime. They aren't flat, but have a slow leak. Man, those L118 rear tires are WIDE! I learned that he bought it form the JD dealer instead of the big-box store, and that he bought the service plan from them. The dealer did all the service for the first 3 years. It is in excellent condition, with minor scuffs on the body. It runs like a sewing machine. The 20HP V-Twin feels stout when running the 42-inch deck. I LOVE IT!!! I love this L118!
    ...See More

John Deere 345?

Q

Comments (1)
    I believe the 345 and 265 are built on the same frame, so you can keep your attachments.
    ...See More

John Deere x720 hydraulics problem

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks for the suggestions engine_tech. Turns out that all I had to do was apply manual downward force on the brackets with one hand while moving the hydraulic lever with the other. The hydraulics only lift upwards. With the mower deck attached, the weight is enough to lower the deck. But with no deck attached manual force must be applied. Problem solved, mowed my lawn today.
    ...See More
  • pfllh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I only know that a couple of years ago I overheard some of the employees at the JD distributor talking about it. It may very well have been just the local dealership they were discussing.
    Thanks for the link for the manual
    Lynn

• mownie
    16 years ago

Those weren't employees. They were agents from "Vicious Rumors Incorporated" sent down there to infiltrate the local populace. (VRI is funded by MTD)

• pfllh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Are you serious? These were employees I had seen there at different times. I'm not stupid and no I don't buy anything MTD.
    Lynn

• mownie
    16 years ago

I know this isn't "Comedy Central", but would you recognize a joke if it hit you up side the head? Of course I'm not serious. But when you "set the mood" with your opening line in your OP, I took advantage of it to whip up a bit of "forum humor" (much like people do in conversation by tossing in a benign snide remark) and then you come back and ask if I'm serious......are you lb59? (there I go again).

• pfllh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I really don't have much humor right now. My husband is an amputee in a wheelchair. I have found just because I'm female, people do try to take advantage and want to charge a rediculous amount for any work.
    I came to this site as I do not want to go to the john deere dealer after the last fiasco with them on the 2 lawn tractors. I'm having trouble finding someone that really has knowledge of the problem and not one of those "well let's see" or I'm not sure where that is but let's try this". VERY frustrating. It has been a couple of years or so that it was even in the news about John Deere being bought out.
    With my husband's bad health and my daughter in the hospital where they found a mass, smiles are just hard right now. I am sorry if I offended you and misunderstood your post.
    I have learned how to fix some things but just didn't know about the hydraulics. John Deere didn't give us a manual and I didn't think much about it back then! DUH, if you don't have a manual, then you're more likely to have them to fix it.
    Again, I do apologise.
    Lynn

• wolfe1
    16 years ago

Is your 750 a hydro or gear? It has been a while since I ran one but I still remember a few things - tractorbynet . com has more scompact owners - I will share what I know though

• mownie
    16 years ago

pfllh, I apologise for being curt. I understand now how somber your view of the world must be with the very serious nature of your family members' health. I live 1/2 mile from a John Deere dealer. I will drop in there Monday (12/3) and see if I can get some specific info and details that you can use.

• pfllh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The 750 is a gear tractor. It has a low and a high with several gears. I don't use high as I didn't realize it was in high and I almost did a wheelie. Part of my learning process!!! :O)
    Mownie, I appreciate your help. You're right, my outlook is not good and I've got to change it. Just feel angry about the health situations as it seems so unfair. God didn't promise life to be fair or easy. Maybe I do need a slap on the head but not right now as I had 3 fusions in my neck in June. Just another little thing to bug me. :O)
    Lynn

• mownie
    16 years ago

pfllh, When you say, "I always keep the finishing mower about the same heighth. I put on the box blade to do some work and the hydraulics to lift and lower the blade only work part of the time if you play with the lever."........do you remove the finish mower from the rear 3 point hitch and then mount the box blade to the rear 3 point hitch?? OR is your finish mower a "mid-mount" (belly mount) mower deck that stays on the tractor even when you have the box blade attached?? This info is needed because IF there is a belly mower with hydraulic lift, there might be a diverter valve in the hydraulic plumbing that affects how the hydraulic system serves the 2 separate lift arms.

• mownie
    16 years ago

pfllh, This is what our community John Deere dealer service dept. guys say in regard to checking the oil level in the hydraulic system. The tractor needs to be sitting on level ground with engine turned off to check. All implements need to be in the "lowered" position. They say the dipstick to check the hydraulic oil is on top of the transmission housing, in front of and below the seat (between the operator's legs). They said that you should use John Deere Hy-guard Oil. They further stated that the symptoms you are having might also be due to a clogged or "stopped-up" pump suction screen in the bottom of the transmission housing. They told me it is common for older tractors pump screens to get "matted over" with sludge and debris to the point that the pump can't get oil, or gets it too slow. So if the dipstick says the oil level is OK, you probably will need to have the hydraulic pump suction screen serviced and all new Hy-guard oil put back in. If the dipstick says it is low of oil, fill it to the full mark with Hy-guard and see if that improves the action of the 3 point hitch and box blade.

• pfllh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you soooo much mownie. I have a 6 ft finishing mower that is attached with the 3 point hitch.
    I did check the hydraulic oil and it was a little low but not severe or dry and added oil but still the problem. Does the screen being serviced mean I have to deal with those people at John Deere? I hope not.
    I know I can't fix everything but I try. Thanks again.
    Lynn

• mownie
    16 years ago

pfllh, you will need a competent mechanic to do the servicing of the suction screen. They don't necessarily need to be from a Deere dealership but they do need to have a good working knowledge of tractors and of performing this kind of maintenance work. I will remind all readers that they can send you e-mail by clicking to your page. If they want to send you any links or info regarding other possible forums or websites that may be helpful, they can do so without breaking the rules of this forum. I have not been able to find any photos or a "viewable" manual online that would give me any clues about how to access the pump screen. Maybe some of these old John Deere experts will be able to send you some "how to" (or how not to) information. Good luck to you on all counts and Merry Christmas.

• pfllh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Mownie for taking all your time to help me. I at least have some knowledge now where I can inquire about a specific service. There's an excellent repair place here but they refuse to work on a JD as they don't want to deal with them in Montgomery. I'll keep looking for someone though. Miracles do happen, yup, they sure do, and I'll find the help I'll need. I just need to look further.
    Thanks again. Thanks too for the Merry Christmas. Lots to be thankful for and have to remember, one step at a time.
    Have a wonderful Christmas filled with laughter, friends and family, and nothing but rainbows and smiles for next year.
    Lynn

• mownie
    16 years ago

I know there are some forum members that have first hand experiences in the John Deere line and hopefully some of them will relent and help you with some part numbers and such. It would probably be a good idea to obtain that service manual too.

• steve2ski
    16 years ago

mowie is correct on getting a qualified service tech for the hydraulic system. Hydraulics are a very good systems, but if are leaking internally (external leaks are easy to spot) they can be a bear. If the system gets contaminated, water, dirt, wrong (mixed) fluids they can be very expensive to flush and refill.
    Dirt and/or water can ruin valving, seals and o-rings these are also expensive to replace.
    example: Several yrs ago I had a hydraulic system rebuilt on a 2040(40hp util) it has a FEL as well independent 3 point. The hydraulics were very jerky I spent almost $4K in making it right. They found mixed fluids, as well as dirt and some water. Alot of o-rings and seals were replaced as well as valves torn down and cleaned.

• pfllh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for the info. I am in no way qualied to even try to fix this. I'm looking for a qualified mechanic by checking with neighbors as to who they have work on their tractors.
    Thanks again
    Lynn

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner
More Discussions