SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
philipw22

Rose (climbing?) for a semi sunny spot

philipw2
15 years ago

I had a spot that got too little sun I thought---most of the afternoon. It is on the west side of a pine tree whose lowest limb is probably 25 feet in the air. I only reconsidered this spot because I threw a Sea Foam there last summer, when once again I realized I had bought more than I could fit in my regular beds. The sea foam is currently blooming its little head off. The daylilies there are also doing well. And my hosta burnt out there last summer. This discovery has given me hope.

I have a 8-10 foot bridal wreath spirea next to the pine. So I'd like a climbing rose to grow up the pine and flop over the spirea.

Most of my roses are blush or white and I am tired of that. I want a red, preferably not orange. My climber awakening is lighter than I am looking for.

I like don Juan, but read that he doesn't bloom so well in suboptimal conditions which I have to assume this is.

I also run a no chemicals yard---other than fertilizer. So I would like a rose with good foliage. (I do have a couple of autumn sunset and an awakening. My autumn sunset and the awakening are good that way.) and I would like a good rebloomer.

All I want is the moon. OTOH, I do not care if it is fragrant.

The area around DC is challenging for foliage diseases. Even the Fairy get diseases around here.

Any suggestions appreciated. Also advice on how t train a climber to a tree. My climbers are all on trellises.

Thanks.

Comments (12)