SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

A benefit of shade....

The planting on the iron arbour in the front garden is giving a good demonstration of how shade can be valuable to help plants grow. In 2010 we stripped the arbour of the beautiful but overly vigorous honeysuckle (which had turned out to be Hall's I think) and replanted it with 'Henryi 'clematis and 'Emerald Gaiety' euonymus. A red clematis that grew with the honeysuckle has returned from the roots on one side so we've left it alone and planted a matching one on the other side. The left side of the arbour starts getting shade from the garage shortly after noon; the shade takes a couple of hours to reach the right side. We try to ensure that the right side gets more water to offset the additional sun but the plants very definitely prefer the comfort of the additional few hours of shade on the left side. It's going to take another year or two at least before the clematises on the right reach and cover the top of the arbour on the right side! Even the vigorous honeysuckle went through the same slow growth on the sunny side. The 'Luna Red' hibiscuses on the left side also bloom earlier and longer than the hibiscuses on the right side. So I never hesitate to try out 'full sun' plants where they get some shade because they can surprise you with how well they do with afternoon shade.

The arbour from the end of the path from the driveway:
{{gwi:260298}}
You can see (by where the downspout extension is) that the garage is close by on the left (west) side. The big Viburnum opulus also adds shade on that side.

(The veronicastrum to the right of the arbour desperately needs to be cut down at this point! I wanted to leave it up for a few more days so rouge can see it but I think it's got to go now....)

A closer view of the arbour top, clearly showing the difference in the clematis growth!
{{gwi:260299}}

Comments (7)