SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
james_hoon

adding mulch and organic

james_hoon
16 years ago

I have a couples stupid questions here since I'm pretty new on gardening and would love to make my backyard beautiful for my wife.

1. After you add organic matter or coffee ground or fresh clipping grass or any fertilize what do you do with existing soil? disregards the top soil or keep adding it up. I have all the plant in the soil at level where I want it to be. the more I add these stuffs the level would get higher. If I disregards only the top soil that would be a waste since the top soil is where I add organic the most. If I have to dig deeper I'm afraid that I will damage the root system.

2. How do you mulch? I have "Scott's Sierra Red Mulch" all around my tree and roses but not as deep (3") as recommended. I've read that I need to replace these old ones every years or it'd compost into the soil after a period of time. I'd like to know what you guys do with it.

3. I don't have compost bin since I live in a small condo. Is it okay to add fresh clipping grass into the soil directly? How do I add this stuff, under the mulch, on top of it or dig a hole near plants and put them down into the hole?

Thanks

James

Comments (14)