SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nippstress

RV mystery: Robin Hood, Verdi, or Robert's Wondrous Ruthie?

Hi folks

My 'mystery rose' from Rogue Valley finally bloomed, and I'm trying to nail down which of their roses it would be. I'd definitely put it with the hybrid musks, with small fully opposed leaves, and small flower clusters. I've attached a photo of the latest bloom cluster. The buds are no bigger than my pinkie nail and the blooms smaller than an inch, which sadly rules out Erfurt. It's currently a band with short widely spaced branches, but obviously I don't have a sense of its ultimate height yet.

My first guess is Robin Hood, since that would account for the high contrast blooms and the semi-double bunch petals, but Verdi is also a possibility. I'd like to believe it's Robert's Wondrous Ruthie, since that looks like a terrific rose and I really like the Barden roses. However, I suspect their mystery roses would be something less unique, and Robin Hood is likely to be an overstock that they'd be sending out in bunches this year.

Whatever it is, I have three of them and have given several away, so I'd welcome your opinions on the bloom. Be patient with me and the photo if it doesn't post right, since I only just figured out how to get the pictures off my camera!

Cynthia

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:285714}}

Comments (4)

• catsrose
    11 years ago

Hard to tell from photos on the exact coloring. I have all three. Robin Hood is redder than the others and RWR is a bit more on the salmon pink side and has a touch of yellow to her. Robin has been on Rogue's Free Roses List this year. I did get RWR as a mystery rose--at least, I'm fairy sure that who she is as she does not look like RH or Verdi, or anyone else. My Verdi and Robin are from VG, so no question there.

• User
    11 years ago

"I'd like to believe it's Robert's Wondrous Ruthie, since that looks like a terrific rose and I really like the Barden roses."

I wish I could tell you that it is RWR, but I assure you, its not :-( Glad you like my work, though! Thanks.

Paul

• ksgreenman
    11 years ago

I have a mystery rose from Rogue Valley that looks almost exactly like that. It also has a fairly nice musk fragrance. It didn't look exactly like any of the hybrid musks listed on the RV website, though--is it possible it could have been a variety they were evaluating and are not yet offering or have decided not to offer? Could it even be an unnamed seedling variety? I also thought the blossom and its clustering habit looked a bit like the photo of the climber Elizabeth Lawrence. There is very little information on it at the RV website, including individual bloom size, and only the one photo that is the same on both the RV site and on HMF. On the other hand, it does say a slight fragrance and I would say the one I have has rather more than slight fragrance, but I suppose that is subjective.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi folks

Thanks for your collective problem solving so far! Paul, I appreciate the definitive word about RWR, and I'm looking forward to starting a thread of "I love Barden Roses" as soon as my plants get big enough to show the impressive blooms and hardiness they clearly have the potential to do. Your roses have at least 90% healthy survival in my yard, which tops even my favorite Delbard, Kordes, and Buck roses. Keep up the good work!

As for the RV mystery, we're still not sure, but as KSGreenman and I have the same rose and I have 4 more of them, I'm inclined to think it's something they are marketing. I don't think they'd produce that many bands to distribute of something they're testing. Catsrose, the color in my photo is pretty true to what it looks like in my yard, that "red" i.e. hot pink edge with a high contrast center, so it's closest to how you describe your Robin Hood (thanks for the contrasting info on all 3). On HMF, there are variations of all these candidate roses so the RV site photo may not look exactly like our plants, but I'm still leaning toward Robin Hood unless I am convinced otherwise.

Other opinions are welcome!

Cynthia