SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
terrene_gw

Norway Maples

terrene
16 years ago

Hi all, would love to get some feedback about my plan to deal with Acer platanoides in my yard. The goal is to eradicate all but the 1 or 2 largest trees that are closest to the house.

The yard is 1.25 acres and it has an invasives problem. The previous owner actually planted the Norway maples over 40 years ago, and then spread them around. And of course, many planted themselves. There were literally hundreds of them here when I moved in 5 years ago.

So far, a little less than half of the trees have been removed in the following manner:

- Seedlings are pulled and saplings up to 1 inch diameter are removed using the Weed Wrench.

- Saplings and trees from 1 inch up to about 12 inches are being cut down and the stump sprayed with herbicide.

- Two large trees have been girdled by making two deep cuts all the way around the base of the tree about 1 foot apart. The girdling looks like this:

{{gwi:141104}}

These girdled trees will be left standing to die and turn into snags. They will be HUGE snags, true, but they are growing a ways back on the lot and not at risk of falling over onto any structures. I'm worried they might be a bit unsightly though.

- One or two of the 3 largest will be removed by a professional tree service and chipped.

- The very largest tree, which is approx 50 years old and 32-36 inches in diameter, will be left alone. It is a beautiful tree, and just too costly to remove. I have done some limbing up of this tree. It has Vinca minor growing underneath, which I will mow into a nice shape and then let the two of these obnoxious non-natives co-exist happily together.

This plan is a lot of work, not to mention the possible thousands it would cost to remove 2 large trees. But I am an avid wildlife gardener and feel an obligation to do something about the invasives in the yard.

So any thoughts on this plan? Is it worth it to go to all this time and money to remove this invasive species?

Any ideas what I could do about the girdled trees?

Also, does Norway Maple wood have any commercial value?

Thanks so much for reading this and for any feedback you can share!

Comments (5)