SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliska12000

Difference b/t parent & clone, kind of odd, and yipee

aliska12000
15 years ago

First, Veilchenblau put out her first two blooms today, I'd say they are a medium pink, many more buds to bloom, no sign of damage from those icky white things so far.

Second, CPM has set buds and they are yellow w/tinge of orange, not like the exaggerated orange in J&P catalog (looks very orange on my monitor, they described it as "golden orange", if people are wanting an orange rose, they may be in for a disappointment), starting to look like the one folks here helped me id. That will please me no end if it is more apricot/yellow, will know in a few days.

BTW that magenta one that is damaged has faded into the most purple rose I ever saw yet. And my RdV is pink and smallish, no sign of violet so far, so time will tell about that, know it isn't a mixup.

Now this strikes me as odd, hate to bore you to tears with this - AGAIN - but the first two pics are the first I laid eyes on this rose June 1, 2003, the parent. It was overcast the day I took the 1st photos which makes things look more neon, but I also photographed it in sun later, I'd call it more of a shocking pink.

{{gwi:285265}}

{{gwi:285266}}

Here is is behind my garage (posted on another recent thread), noticed it blooming this past June 6, had been watching it. I am positive the cutting was from this rose, cannot be a mixup with the lighter pink I posted or the magenta one, and I only was successful in rooting one other type so far, a white. It can't be the cuttings from 2 other roses I took last fall because they all died. This one spent the winter before last in my sunroom, and I set it out last spring.

The only difference I can think of is the parent faces south in full sun whereas mine is behind the garage with very little sun. Can that account for the difference? By the time I took the cuttings from a bloom stem, the blooms were spent. I'm doubting it is a sport but could it have reverted to something from a cross or can a rose look this different in full sun vs. mostly shade? I like the one I got out of it much better even though a once-bloomer. Soil conditions? It doesn't look anything like the parent to me except similar color.

{{gwi:285267}}

{{gwi:285268}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Crown Princess Margareta at J&P

Comments (2)