SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vwbrownthumb

Introducing myself - I'll try to keep this short

VWbrownthumb
9 years ago

Hello all! Just stopping by to introduce myself:

I was on garden web years ago and grew roses. Now, I'm in a much smaller place with almost no yard (unless you count the brick patio) so I am trying African Violets! I had one years ago - it sat on the window of my office and lived for years til my boss threw it in a box when I was on vacation. He was an idiot. To continue ...

My mom can get rocks to grow roots, but I can kill anything without even trying except for roses and that one AV. I can't explain it. Around where I live we get a few AV in stores that look awful and are just too boring, so this time I decided to start with (hopefully) some better beginnings so I ordered some leaves to root, they should arrive in a few days. I've been reading about doing this and I think I can manage if I don't get too impatient.

My plan was to use one of those plastic ice cube trays (with drainage holes, of course), set up over a tray (I'm thinking, a few pebbles to keep it out of water but allow for humidity). This contraption will be sitting on a table in a clear plastic bag that gets daylong light, no direct sun, not likely to get knocked over, and the cat won't try to play with it.

Questions about this plan, if anyone can help me:

1. Is it likely to be helpful to use rooting hormone stuff? I've read differing opinions.
2. What soil? I was thinking of getting AV soil and adding vermiculite 50/50, making sure it was moist but not drippy.

As I say, introducing myself. Oh - and yes, I read the articles/posts on the forum. Too many versions.

Have a good day all,

Virginia With brown thumb

Comments (23)