SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rick315_8

Regrets / pet peeves about your tractor purchase ?

rick315-8
14 years ago

Suppose for a minute that you could turn the clock back,.....back to the time when you were just about to sign the papers for your new tractor. ....Would you still do it?. ...that is,would you still buy the same "IDENTICAL" tractor today?....or would you do things differently?

It's a safe bet to say that if you are a regular on tractor sites and forums such as this one,then you didn't take the purchase of your tractor lightly!

No...unlike your neighbor that sure seems to think that a lawn tractor is nothing more than another big home appliance, you took the time to do your homework before going ahead with your purchase.

You started out by making a list of all the chores you wanted to do on your property with your tractor. You then made another list of all the attachments needed to do all those chores. Armed with this information,you were now ready for the fun part: That's when you went out and proceeded to bug the living heck out of every single dealer within a 75 mile radius of your home !

You looked at every possible make and model,trying to find a tractor that would handle all your work load and stay within your budget: "the most tractor for the money" sort of speak is what it all comes down to.

"Buying within your budget" can be very frustrating sometimes.....you see what you would like but....you have to stay in the real world. If this wasn't true then I would suspect that there would be a pretty big crowd (myself included) that would go around with 30hp diesels with 60" decks complete with the mandatory front end loader and backhoe!......even if...the guy only has 1/4 acres!! Wow......can you imagine all the fun (euh....i mean work) you could do with such a toy? (euh....tractor)

So back in the real world, you purchased the best tractor to suit your needs and taste and also fit in your budget.

In order to stay within that budget you couldn't go all out on your purchase,you had to draw the line somewhere right?.......However,after a year or so later after the purchase of your tractor did you find yourself asking the following?

"Should have got the next model up with the diff lock"

"Should have got a nice twin cyl"

"Should have got the bigger deck"

"Should have got the electric lift"

"Should have bought it with the avail AG tires"

etc...etc...etc...etc...etc....

Of course things can also go in the opposite direction:....maybe you over did it, maybe that 54" or 60" deck is a bit big for your lot and you find yourself having to spend to much time with the push mower to finish mowing around all the those tight places!

So what did I do wrong?....well I kinda feel that I short changed myself all in the name of "budget". Back in the summer of 06' I was looking to buy my first lawn tractor.(or so I thought) After doing my homework,it was very clear that I didn't need a lawn tractor..what I needed was a garden tractor.

Needless to say there is quite a price difference between an LT and a good heavy duty GT. I decided on toro's "wheelhorse classic GT " Now granted this isn't a tractor for everybody but it was right up my alley as far as heavy duty goes. The price for this tractor was much more than I first planned on spending . I decided to go ahead anyways but to try to keep the cost down as much as possible I spec'd the cheapest deck available: the 42' side discharge.

Now don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with this deck,but now that I look back at things I kinda wish I would have spend another couple hundred dollars and get the 48" deck. No big deal mind you,but a bigger deck would be welcomed .

Anybody else have second thoughts?

Rick

'

Comments (14)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES