SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ichibanda

Can I Make Compost In The Raised Bed?

ichibanda
12 years ago

Hi All-

I am now in my second season of vegetable gardening and looking to expand my operation by adding 4 12 foot long, 4 foot wide and 12 inches deep raised vegetable beds.

I am trying to figure out a cheaper way to fill them and wondering if I can fill them with compost. I have priced out using store bought compost, vermiculite, and peat moss or coconut coir fiber but it becomes pretty expensive to fill that many beds. At least 400 or so I think.

I have a shredder and a bunch of palm tree leafs and pine needles as well as grass cuttings each week. I was wondering if I could fill the boxes with these and a bunch of veggie and dinner scraps and compost it all right in the box. Would this work and any ideas on how long it would need to be in their to compost completely? Also in terms of an activator should I put in some compost, or worm tea, or urine or something to get it jump started and composting? Pretty new to compost and have not really done it before so I am not even sure if this would be possible. It would be great if I can do it and it works since I would be using a bunch of stuff from the yard and kitchen that would go into the landfill then. It would save money, clean up my yard and save landfill waste. What do you all think? Would this make a good planting mix and is it possible?

Comments (20)