SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quilt_mommy

Sproutless Delphiniums

14 years ago

This is my second year winter sowing, although, I haven't sown any seeds yet. Lol* Stopping tomorrow to get seeds and dirt. Anyhow, last year I sowed delphiniums and they were one of only a few seeds that didn't give me even a sprout. Any tips? Are these just better to buy as plants?

I did plant a bunch of blooming delphs last year - I have read they are biennial, so those that bloomed this year won't get blooms next year, is that correct? So should I expect them to die out or should they drop seed each year and with luck (knock on wood) keep seeding and blooming every other year?

Comments (13)

• 14 years ago

Delphiniums are perennials and bloom every year, although some may not bloom until the second year.

They also need 2 weeks of cold stratificaton. Years ago I direct sowed some in my mother's garden in June (before I knew about ws and cold stratification) and of course had no germination.

Last year I kept some of my 2Ls which did not germinate or had less germination than I expected. A couple varieties of delphiniums germinated in November. That was after we had a very cold October. Don't know if they will survive. I snuggled the containers into the ground and covered them with mulched leaves so we will see in the spring.

• 14 years ago

I winter sowed some my first year of wintersowing. (February of 07) I had 3 seedlings sprout. I planted those 3 seedlings near my back door. They did not bloom that year but they did bloom in 08 and 09 and they are so pretty. I sowed more in 09 and planted out the first week of June several of them had a small amount of blooms in late fall. I can't wait to see them bloom this year. They are one of my favorites. They seem to be picky little seedlings. I started some in the greenhouse and they fried in the sun. I think ws is the perfect soluition for Delphs.
    Glenna

• 14 years ago

Because we really don't have a winter here (it will be 73 today) I wintersowed delphs in November and hoped for the best. I have had good germination of every one. I am so surprised! We'll see if any bloom. Now if I could just get my KMOGG to germinate!

• 14 years ago

I hope that the delphs that I sowed a couple of weeks ago germinate. I sowed 29 jugs with more seeds coming from Dowdeswell's. My wife loves delpheniums and has some that she bought potted a few years ago, but hasn't had success growing from seed. I'm hoping that the ones that are out covered with snow right now will give good results. Seems that WS is the way to go with delphs. I've done my part now we'll see if Mother nature does the rest. I say yes.

Luke

• 14 years ago

At the risk of being redundant and a bore, I sowed one pkt this past spring in McDonald's salad tray, covered it w/vented lid and stuck in fridge for stratification for ONE day.

Guy on I think it was perennials forum said to take them out of the fridge, set them out, they'll sprout, did so immediately, set in total shade on the north side of the house, they did in very short order. Lid off once they sprout. Seeds were from swallowtail, Blue Bird, supposed not to need staking, 100 in the pkt at least 50% germination, xplanted into oversize cell packs and set in flat. Some more germinated but lost them when they got flooded in a downpour. Was a rough summer with the hard rain (would beat down tiny seedlings), shuffling them in and out of the house and had to watch because the flat didn't drain. Plus I should have not done the slits but burned holes in salad trays although worked well before on other stuff.

Anyway by that time I had about 27 plants (lost some xplanting as usual), 15 made it through the summer to the point I could set them in the ground in about early-to-mid September, good root systems. Put soda bottles over them w/cap off to give the green a better start and roots a better chance to spread and grow deeper which they should have anyway. So they survived a couple lighter freezes, warmed up, and darned if just one didn't send up a bloom shoot.

Forecast bad by Dec 3 (unusual to not lose plants by that late some still going), so snipped the shoot off, brought it in the house and set it under my lights in a vase w/3 alyssum I snipped off. The A's last a long time in a boquet BTW. 11 days later just one bud out of the small cluster burst into bloom, and this is what I got. Never expected to see that first year, was delighted.

If all goes well with the winter, they should bloom next year.

I did some reading up on them, they're not long-lasting perennials (generally), and not to let ice build up in the crown, they don't like that and more stuff I can't remember. Bought 2 more pkts of seeds to sow in the spring again, won't WS those.

{{gwi:351312}}

• 14 years ago

I read that you must have fresh seeds, that they go bad fast. So i would make sure you have fresh seed to start with and refridgerate the seeds till your done planting them. I also ordered some from New Zealand and am waiting to get them in, can't wait:-)

• 14 years ago

Those New Zealand ones are expensive but goooorgeous. Was very tempted but passed being a novice w/Delphs, just a few seeds/pkt of those anywhere I saw. My seeds I think I bought in 2008, just threw them in my covered plastic box of seeds at room temp all that winter.

I forgot to mention that because I intended to xplant, I mixed about 3 to 1 parts MG potting soil to special seed starting mix I have for rooting roses which I think contains a little fungicide.

Last summer was so cool and so much rain, they were really slow, had to shuffle them so much until it was finally safe to put them in full sun and where they could stand being rained on. I sure coddled them, sometimes I get fed up and let my seedlings sink or swim.

• 14 years ago

Irish rose, I'd be interested in how those NZ delphs do for you. Will you be WS them? From what I have gathered WS seems to be the best method for seedlings. It's about 20 deg.F right now and covered with snow. That takes care of the cold temp and darkness for them.

Aliska, Thanks for the inspirational picture. You are very patient and I think that it will pay off with blooms this summer. I think patience is a good virtue when it come to any type of gardening.

Luke

• 14 years ago

Luke, thanks. People have to decide, and sometimes it's intuitive mixed w/whatever experience you have, which way to go. Obviously I wanted these badly, moreso than others.

I can't coddle all my plants to that extent so only for what I want the most.

WS is definitely best when it works. Sowing in shallower containers in spring is very rewarding and more instant gratification when they sprout, most do for me, but you have to keep them misted once the lids are off until you can deal with them, don't always xplant individually but delphs I sure wouldn't want to put in the ground HOS.

I might WS one of my new pkts just to see what happens although people would love to have my xtras and would probably do well at a plant sale. I'm guessing the commercial ones are started in a greenhouse which is more labor intensive than most of us are equipped to handle.

• 14 years ago

I love WSing delphs, and they are one of my favorite flowers in the garden and to winter sow.

Delphs need some cold stratification as other posters mentioned and they need DARKNESS. Make sure the delph seeds are covered with dirt because they do not need light to germinate and they take a long time, think 3 weeks, to get started.

Looking at my journal from last spring, I planted containers of Pink Fountain and Blue Fountain Delphs on 1/31 and 3/6 and all have sprout dates of 4/8.

In 2008, I planted magic fountain delphs, blue skies, and pacific giant delphs. The Delphs planted on 2/29 sprouted 4/15, and the delphs planted on 4/13 have a sprout date of 5/6.

Delphs planted this year will not yield much of a bloom if any. Although, the Magic Fountains did produce some nice shoots. The second year, though, is a different story. And the third year will be the best yet. Just watch for slugs and crown rot. :)

Good luck!

Cheers,
    NoraBelle

• 14 years ago

Thank you for all of your responses, I don't know what happened last year. I had two leftover packs that I bought last fall and we'll see what happens. I put them outside...it's out of my hands now!!! :)

• 14 years ago

Norabelle, Now, that's good information. I think that I'll start keeping a log. Do you have any experience with how many years the plants continue to have nice blooms?
    Thanks, Luke

• 14 years ago

Hi, Luke,

Keeping a log has really helped me, but it fits my personality--I like lists. :)

My anecdotal evidence from reading on GW is that delphs in zones 4/5 have a good four or five year run. However, and I am trying to locate this thread, someone in zone 5 from MI said they had delph plants that were going strong and 20+years old. Now, had some reseeding happened in those two decades? Perhaps.

Another thing to think about with delphs is location. I have delphs on the east and west sides of my house. The east-side delphs are WONDERFUL. Lots of morning sun and then dappled shade after 2 p.m. The west-side delphs get full sun starting about 12:30 and they are SAD. Again, reading I have done, especially in warmer zones 6/7, is that delphs like morning sun and dappled shade in the afternoon. Plus, in places where summers are quite hot, they will go dormant. My delphs have not gone dormant, but Wisconsin summers are not as warm as a Kansas, Carolina, or southern Ohio summer--maybe humidity, though. :)

I get a big flush of blooms in late June and they last for a number of weeks. I cut my delphs back, unless I want to collect seed, and then I get another flush in late August/early September, but they aren't as big as the bloom in June.

The link below is a thread I read quite a bit when researching and planning for wintersowing delphs. Pay close attention to the zones of the posters because their experiences will be different from a zone five. However, lots of good info and some nice photos. I'm still looking for the other thread about delphs that was so encouraging and helpful to me, too.

cheers,
    Norabelle

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses and Delphs

Sponsored