SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bgrabon

Valve lash adjusting

bgrabon
16 years ago

Like many others my Intek 18.5HP 31P777 (2002) engine did not start a few months ago. I checked the usual battery, wires, solenoid, starter only to find I could not turn the engine by hand. After reading many posts like this, I then went to adjust the valve clearances. As I expected the exhaust rocker arm was waaay loose and in need of adjustment. So, I set the clearance and it started right up. I'm happy now since this all makes sense. Next, week rolls by and it will not start. Sure enough same thing. Now, I'm not happy. I adjust the clearance again and check that I have the rocker nut tightened. It starts up AND I try starting it several times AFTER it has been running. All looks great. Now, 3rd week goes by I try to start again. Same thing :( Since the rocker arm/nut appears to be getting loose sometime when the engine was cooling down, I then try to put a little Loktite on the nut. Well I can tell you all, that was not a good thing to do. When the Loktite fully cured it must have expanded too much and literally split the rocker nut in half. I then got a new rocker nut (and set screw). Now 4th week. You can guess what's going to happen... It starts the first time after adjusting, but then the following week it doesn't and the rocker arm is loose. The rocker nut is tight, but the rocker arm is loose. Not sure what is going on here.

So, what keeps loosening the exhaust rocker arm/nut? My next thought is to take a look at the compression release on the cam. However, this appears to be a painfully thing to do if this is not the likely cause. Thoughts anyone?

bobg

Comments (13)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions