SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fred5557

Hard starting riding mower with B&S 16.5 hp engine

Fred5557
11 years ago

I have a Murray 16.5 hp 42" cut riding mower that I bought from a neighbor this year. B&S engine 31C707/0175E1. I don't know how old it is but it is in pretty good shape and had run fine for 2-3 months of cutting the lawn with it. Then it started to have problems starting. Once i got it started it it would bog down and almost stop, backfire and blow out huge clouds of smoke and start to run okay again. Googled the problem and the consensus seemed to be valve clearances, at least for the hard start. Found my clearances and adjusted the valves. Started right up that day, but the following week hard start again. Adjusted valves again for weeks now and trying different ways of when to test clearances. I also pull the plug and gas pours out from plug port. I crank the engine with plug out a couple of times and it blows gas out alot the first time and less after that. Put the plug back in and it starts fine and runs fine except for 1 or 2 bog downs, backfire and huge smoke cloud about half way through cutting.

I would like to find out a couple of things if someone can help with this problem.

1- The valves sit on top of each other. Which is the intake and which is the exhaust valve?

2- Is gas supposed to pour out of plug port? I usually try to start it a few times before pulling plug so is that why gas comes out?

Any help with this is appreciated.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
More Discussions