SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
subk3

Alfalfa question

subk3
11 years ago

I have several leftover bags/bales of a horse forage product called "Chaffhaye" that was purchased for an elderly horse who has passed on and it doesn't fit with the feeding program of my other horses. I am wondering if I should use it on my gardens--vegetable and perennial--and more specifically on my roses. I have two climbers that were almost completely defoliated by slugs a few weeks ago and I'm wondering if they wouldn't appreciate it right now. Or maybe it would be better to save it to use as a mulch protection for winter?

The hay product is made from 100% alfalfa hay that has been chopped to pieces no longer than an inch or two, then misted with a very small amount of molasses to start a fermentation process and to develop "good bacteria" to promote digestion in horses then packaged in an airtight plastic bag. It is weed seed free.

I already have an abundance of composted horse manure that I use and everything was mulched with it earlier this spring. Can/Should I use the compost and hay together? Would the hay take the place of a fertilizer?

Here's a quick overview of the product:

Here is a link that might be useful: Chaffhaye

Comment (1)